January 28, 2019
Equinix Selected by Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited to Secure Always-On IT Infrastructure
HONG KONG – January 29, 2019 – Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced that Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited (HKEX) has selected an Equinix International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center in Hong Kong to further enhance the resiliency of its corporate IT infrastructure.
Hong Kong is one of the world’s leading international financial centers, and ranked third in the Global Financial Centre Index 2018. Equinix IBX data centers provide high quality colocation services, whilst maintaining compliance with complex regulatory requirements, meeting HKEX’s ongoing demand for IT infrastructure scalability, responsiveness and stability to support its growth strategy.
- Equinix hosts the largest multi-asset class electronic trading ecosystem in the world, enabling users to trade across equities, commodities, foreign exchange and fixed income markets. Its financial ecosystem ensures top security and uptime reliability for systems risk assessments and regulatory compliance, which is a top priority for the highly regulated financial services industry that HKEX operates in.
- The Equinix IBX data center deployment will provide HKEX with enhanced reliability, redundancy and service quality. In addition, Equinix has reduced the need for HKEX’s internal teams to be involved with the heavy lifting of racking, stacking and powering servers – allowing greater focus on the organization’s core business.
- With the numerous cloud service providers and diverse ecosystems available on Platform Equinix®, HKEX has the flexibility to connect to any network suppliers, cloud vendors and service partners, while still minimizing time-to-market and total cost of ownership.
- According to the Global Interconnection Index, a market study published by Equinix, Interconnection Bandwidth installed by the banking & insurance industry in Asia-Pacific is projected to grow at a 79% compound annual growth rate (CAGR) through to 2021. IDC also estimated that at least 80% of financial services institutions (FSI) in Asia-Pacific would run on a hybrid cloud architecture by the end of 2018.
- Equinix data centers in Hong Kong consist of more than 26,500 square meters (approximately 285,000 square feet) of colocation space. They are business hubs to more than 455 companies, including 85 global network providers, more than 110 cloud service providers, about 135 financial enterprises and over 40 digital and content media companies. Equinix colocation facilities in Hong Kong are some of its most carrier dense network hubs in the world.
- Larry Tam, Managing Director, Equinix Hong Kong
“The financial services sector remains an important economic pillar in Hong Kong. We are honored to collaborate with HKEX and be part of its service enhancement journey, as it seeks to address the demands of today’s customers and maintain its global competitiveness. Equinix will continue to play an integral role in fueling the growth of the financial sector in the city by providing leading colocation facilities and offering the highest levels of data center security and operational reliability.”
- Richard Leung, Chief Technology Officer, HKEX
“Through the use of Equinix, we are confident that our corporate network and services will have the scalability and responsiveness needed to support our IT strategy and growth ambitions. We are now able to better plan resources and have eliminated capacity restrictions to become more cost-effective and competitive.”
- Equinix Hong Kong Data Centers [website]
- Equinix Data Centers and Colocation Services [website]
- Equinix Data Centers in Asia-Pacific [website]
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX) connects the world’s leading businesses to their customers, employees and partners inside the most-interconnected data centers. In 52 markets worldwide, Equinix is where companies come together to realize new opportunities and accelerate their business, IT and cloud strategies. Equinix.hk
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX data centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see recent Equinix quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Media Contact (Asia-Pacific)
Media Contact (Hong Kong)