September 19, 2013
Equinix Receives 2013 United States Retail Co-location Services Market Share Leadership Award from Frost & Sullivan
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. – September 19, 2013 – Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection anddata center company, today announced that it has been awarded the 2013 Frost & Sullivan United States Retail Co-location Services Market Share Leadership Award. Equinix was specifically recognized for its excellence in capturing the highest market share within its industry.
- Equinix was awarded the 2013 United States Retail Co-location Services Market Share Leadership Award based on four key criteria: 1.) achieving a market leading position based on revenues, 2.) investing in colocation facilities in strategic locations, 3.) assembling leading carriers to interconnect at these co-location facilities and, 4.) offering superior infrastructure, power and network performance. Equinix held first position, in terms of revenue share (based on full year 2012 revenues), in the U.S. Retail Co-location services market, with a revenue share of 21.9 percent.
- Equinix is experiencing high demand for its data center and interconnection services in the United States from financial services firms and cloud service providers, as well as network services providers and content and digital media companies. At the end of 2012, Equinix had more than 2,000 customers in North America. Equinix has established vast business ecosystems enabling companies to directly connect with their customers and partners to improve application performance, generate new revenue opportunities, and accelerate their digital supply chain.
- In a report issued with the award, Frost & Sullivan cites that demand from other customer segments—particularly hosted service providers and cloud service providers—is also contributing to steady growth in co-location revenues. In particular, cloud computing services are appealing to global enterprises who seek to off-load IT workloads. Equinix enables these global enterprises to shift capital infrastructure costs to an operating expense, aggregating or distributing data center footprint as needed and using low-cost cross connects to reach application and cloud service providers.
- Equinix operates a broad footprint of over 95 data centers in 31 markets across the globe. Year to date, Equinix has opened two additional data center facilities in the U.S.—in March it opened its second International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) in Seattle (SE3) and its eighth facility in Ashburn (DC11) which services the Washington D.C. metro area. The Ashburn data center campus continues to be of great strategic importance for the company, as it represents one of the largest Internet exchange points in the world.
- The Frost & Sullivan report also notes that the reliability of the infrastructure—data center, power and network connections—is of utmost importance at co-location facilities, as downtime can mean lost business opportunities for customers and may violate service level agreements. Equinix's facilities offer advanced design, security, power and cooling elements to provide customers with a high level of reliability. The company's power infrastructure delivered greater than 99.999% uptime globally in 2012.
- 2012 represented a strong year for business growth and industry recognition for Equinix. The company was ranked number 271 fastest growing company in North America on Deloitte's Technology Fast 500, ranked in the top 50 in the InformationWeek 500 and in December it was named to the prestigious NASDAQ-100 Index. This momentum has carried into 2013, as Forbes recently named Equinix number 15 in its list of America's Fastest Growing Tech Companies 2013.
To download a free copy of the Frost & Sullivan report, click here.
- Roopa Honnachari, program manager, Frost & Sullivan:
"In a market where most other competitors are diversifying their service offerings to sustain growth, Equinix continues to hold its leadership position by focusing on its core offering of co-location and interconnection services. The value that the company brings to the table in terms of the ecosystem of providers it has created at its facilities remains unmatched by any other competitor in the market. This combined with the company's ability to continually expand the breadth and depth of its market presence is a key factor contributing to Equinix's market leading position. Frost & Sullivan commends Equinix's efforts and in recognition of the same bestows the 2013 Market Leadership Award in the Retail Co-location services market to Equinix."
- Charles Meyers, chief operating officer, Equinix:
"Equinix is honored to be recognized by Frost & Sullivan for this very special award. From day one, Equinix's value proposition was based on the simple idea of enabling companies to accelerate growth by directly connecting to customers and partners in our data centers and this still holds true today. We are committed to building on our market leadership by innovating and exploring new ways to deliver business value to our customers and helping them leverage the unique capabilities of Platform Equinix in 31 markets across the globe."
- Press release: Equinix Opens Second Seattle Data Center
- Press release: Equinix to Join the NASDAQ-100 Index
- Blog: What Makes the DC11 Campus one of the Largest Internet Exchanges in the World? [Infographic]
About Frost & Sullivan
Frost & Sullivan, the Growth Partnership Company, enables clients to accelerate growth and achieve best-in- class positions in growth, innovation and leadership. The company's Growth Partnership Service provides the CEO and the CEO's Growth Team with disciplined research and best-practice models to drive the generation, evaluation, and implementation of powerful growth strategies. Frost & Sullivan leverages 50 years of experience in partnering with Global 1000 companies, emerging businesses and the investment community from more than 40 offices on six continents. To join our Growth Partnership, please visit http://www.frost.com.
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), connects more than 4,000 companies directly to their customers and partners inside the world’s most networked data centers. Today, businesses leverage the Equinix interconnection platform in 31 strategic markets across the Americas, EMEA and Asia-Pacific. www.equinix.com.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix’s recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc.
International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.