May 30, 2013
Equinix Wins EU Code of Conduct Energy Efficiency Award
New Amsterdam data center recognized for energy efficiency best practice and innovation
REDWOOD CITY, CALIF. and NICE – May 30, 2013 – Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), the global interconnection and data center company, today announced it has received an award from the European Commission Joint Research Center that oversees the EU Code of Conduct (CoC) on Data Center Energy Efficiency for the company's new International Business Exchange™ (IBX®) data center in Amsterdam (AM3). Presented today at a ceremony at Datacentres Europe 2013, Equinix received the Participant category award for innovative technologies adopted to improve data center energy efficiency and reduce energy consumption.
Highlights / Key Facts
- Opened in October 2012, Equinix's third IBX data center in Amsterdam (AM3) provides 188,000 square feet of gross space in Amsterdam Science Park, one of Europe's most network-dense locations, with a 50 millisecond reach to 80 percent of Europe.
- Built to LEED Gold certificate standards, the data center deploys Aquifer Thermal Energy Storage (ATES) in the ground instead of mechanical cooling and combines this with hybrid-cooling towers. This allows full use of free-cooling and generates hot water for the neighboring Amsterdam University throughout the year. These and other sustainable technologies generate significant energy savings, allowing customers to reduce their CO2 footprint significantly at the same time as enjoying world-class application performance.
- Equinix has played a key consultative role in defining a number of the best practices endorsed by the European Commission and is one of a small number of data center providers whose standard practices across its European footprint meet CoC standards, leading to full corporate status. Conforming to independently-certified standards set by international organisations such as the EU, ISO 50001 and ISO 14001 is a key element in Equinix's integrated energy management framework for customers.
- The design process and technologies that were developed for AM3 are now being applied as standard in Equinix expansions worldwide.
- The CoC was created by the European Commission in response to increasing energy consumption in data centers and the need to reduce the related environmental, economic and energy supply security impacts.
- Dick Theunissen, CMO, Equinix EMEA:
"Our mission in building AM3—as with every new facility—was to break new ground in infrastructure performance, design innovation and sustainable operation," said Equinix EMEA CMO Dick Theunissen. "This award is a welcome proof that we have done our job well, and we will continue to deploy the latest technologies to improve energy efficiency for our customers and the environment in ways that can be replicated, not just across Platform Equinix worldwide, but across the industry as a whole."
- Find out more about Equinix's Amsterdam data centers
- Find out more about Equinix's energy efficiency initiatives
Equinix, Inc. (Nasdaq: EQIX), connects more than 4,000 companies directly to their customers and partners inside the world’s most networked data centers. Today, businesses leverage the Equinix interconnection platform in 31 strategic markets across the Americas, EMEA and Asia-Pacific. www.equinix.com
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from expectations discussed in such forward-looking statements. Factors that might cause such differences include, but are not limited to, the challenges of acquiring, operating and constructing IBX centers and developing, deploying and delivering Equinix services; unanticipated costs or difficulties relating to the integration of companies we have acquired or will acquire into Equinix; a failure to receive significant revenue from customers in recently built out or acquired data centers; failure to complete any financing arrangements contemplated from time to time; competition from existing and new competitors; the ability to generate sufficient cash flow or otherwise obtain funds to repay new or outstanding indebtedness; the loss or decline in business from our key customers; and other risks described from time to time in Equinix’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. In particular, see Equinix’s recent quarterly and annual reports filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, copies of which are available upon request from Equinix. Equinix does not assume any obligation to update the forward-looking information contained in this press release.
Equinix and IBX are registered trademarks of Equinix, Inc. International Business Exchange is a trademark of Equinix, Inc.